HistoryA major development in Radnor’s recreational
amenities is the Radnor Multipurpose
Trail. Also known as the P&W trail,
it runs along what was once part of the Philadelphia & Western Railway
Company track that was first used in 1907. P&W maintained the line until 1956, when it was abandoned and
PennDOT acquired the land. In 1976,
PennDOT granted Radnor use of the land as a bike and hiking path. A referendum in 1995 discovered a majority of residents would be in favor of
developing the abandoned corridor into a multipurpose trail. PennDOT received over $2 million to develop the trail. Construction began in June of 2004 and was
completed in January 2006. Officially
opened to residents on April 16, 2006, the Radnor Trail has provided residents
with a safe location to perform some of their favorite outdoor recreational
activities. Utilized year round, the
trail has been a welcomed addition to
the list of highly valued recreational facilities of Radnor Township. Please
refer to the Trail’s list of user recommendations on etiquette and responsibility.
The 2.4 mile trail runs from Radnor-Chester Road to Sugartown Road. With several key connections located along the part-macadam, part-crushed stone trail surface, multiple uses include walking, jogging, hiking, biking, and rollerblading. A parking lot with a temporary bathroom is available at the Conestoga Road entrance to the trail and along Brooke Road. Dog walking is permitted on the trail and all dogs must be on a leash.
Features & Amenities
Entrances are located at:
- Conestoga Road
- Gallagher Road
- John Cappelli Golf Range
- Radnor Chester Road
- Sugartown Road
- West Wayne Avenue
Length: 2.4 Miles
*Click on the picture below to learn more about the history of the P&W Railway and the signs that are along the walking paths.
Several interpretive signs along the Radnor Trail mark the spots of former P&W train stations and tell the history of the old railroad. These signs are part of a long-term project to create interpretive panels commemorating all of the stations that once stood along the trail spearheaded by the Radnor Historical Society and Radnor Conservancy. Most people who run, bike, and walk on the Radnor Trail don't realize that electric trolleys, part of a railroad leading to the 69th Street Terminal, once followed the same path. The concrete supports of the once elevated stations are still found along the trail and an amazingly intact substation building are all that is left of what once was the "Strafford Branch" of the Philadelphia and Western Railway. The Railway was an important part of life in Wayne and Radnor for fifty years. After the trains stopped running, it sat vacant for almost as much time. Now that the right-of-way is in active use once again, it's only appropriate that the story of the P&W be told to the Trail's new generation of travelers. The signs have been placed in important locations, including sites of former railroad stations. The first two signs were funded by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, as well as donations from the Radnor Historical Society, the Friends of Radnor Trails, and Radnor Township. The second phase was made possible mostly by personal donations.