North Wayne Park is owned by Radnor Township School District (the park is leased to Radnor Township) and is also known as Seneca Egbert Field. At one time, this area was used as an athletic field for the Merryvale Athletic Association, Radnor Cricket Club, and the Radnor Country Club. The very first Radnor/Lower Merion high school football rivalry game was played here in 1897. RTSD purchased the land for use as athletic fields in November 1936. Seneca Egbert, a local physician, was instrumental in securing the land for use as a playground. The North Wayne Protective Association presented a plaque in 1940 to honor Egbert for his contribution to the community following his passing in 1939. At the West Beechtree Avenue entrance to the park there is a walkway known as Merryvale Park, presumably to honor one time users of the land. This .036 acres is owned by Radnor Township.
Features & Amenities
North Wayne Park is located at North Wayne and Beechtree Avenues and abuts the SEPTA railroad tracks. A multipurpose athletic field and baseball field make up 4.2 acres of open green grass. North Wayne Park also features a tot-lot playground with an array of amenities, including kid and adult swings, benches, and an all-purpose climber. The rear entrance walkway located along Beechtree Avenue features an off-street parking lot. The playground was installed in 1999 and other improvements, including an expanded parking lot, were made to add another dimension to the beloved neighborhood park