Many traditional Independence Day events and fireworks shows across Delaware County are canceled or postponed this year due to the novel Coronavirus. Out of an abundance of caution, there will not be a Radnor Township sponsored firework display this year due to the desire to maintain social distancing for the health and well being of our community. We wish everyone a safe and happy July 4th weekend and please review the following information regarding consumer firework safety. Please be reminded that Radnor Township has noise ordinances that must be considered while celebrating the holiday. Stay safe, Radnor!
Which fireworks are Pennsylvania residents now allowed to purchase and use?
Consumers can now purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material. The expansion includes those fireworks that were previously only available to out-of-state residents.
“Display fireworks,” which are classified as including salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place.
Who can purchase fireworks?
Anyone 18 years of age or older can purchase them.
What are the restrictions on where they can be used?
- They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner.
- They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure, whether or not a person is actually present.
- They cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.
Also, it is recommended that you check with your local municipality, as you may also be subject to applicable local ordinances.
Where can the fireworks be purchased?
Airborne fireworks, including Roman candles and bottle rockets may only be purchased at brick-and-mortar stores.
Where can I find information about the associated risks associated with consumer fireworks?