Located in the Radnor Township Building at 301 Iven Avenue in Wayne, the Radnorshire Room will serve as a cooling shelter for local residents beginning Wednesday July 17 thru Sunday July 21. Residents are welcome to take relief from the heat between 8am - 9pm weekdays and 9am - 9pm weekends.
The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory for this week as follows:
- A period of excessive heat is possible starting Wednesday and continuing through the weekend.
- Heat index values above 100 degrees are possible as early as Wednesday for locations along and southeast of the Interstate 95 corridor.
- The hottest days are expected to be Friday and Saturday. On those days, heat index values of 105 to 115 degrees are possible along and southeast of the Interstate 95 corridor. For northern NJ, and the remainder of SE PA, heat index values of 100 to 105 will be possible.
- There will be little relief each night as overnight temperatures are expected to stay above 70 degrees for most locations.
- These could be the highest heat index values we've seen in a few years! These heat index values can cause heat related stress and illness for anyone, but particularly among at-risk populations. Those especially vulnerable include elderly, children, those with pre-existing conditions, and those that live near urban centers without air conditioning. Prolonged outdoor activities will be dangerous for anyone on Friday and Saturday.
- For more information on heat safety and information on heat illness, visit https://www.weather.gov/safety/heat
To avoid heat-related deaths or illnesses, it is suggested that residents follow some simple steps:
- Stay in air-conditioned areas during the hottest hours of the day. If residents don't have air-conditioning in their homes, they should go to a public place like the mall or the Radnorshire Room Cooling Shelter to stay cool.
- Wear light and loose-fitting clothing.
- Drink water frequently. Don't wait until thirsty.
- Avoid unnecessary strenuous work or activities if outside or in a building without air conditioning.
- Avoid unnecessary sun exposure. If and when in the sun, wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Apply sunscreen of SPF 15 or 30 or higher at least 30 minutes before going out. Continue to apply the sunscreen as needed.
ABOUT RADNOR TOWNSHIP The mission of the Radnor Township government is to serve the best interests of all our residents by providing and maintaining a secure environment that enhances the quality of life for the individual and the community. We recognize the dignity of public service and are dedicated to the highest standards of integrity. We pledge to be a dynamic, responsive organization that continually strives to provide the most efficient and effective level of service for Radnor Township. Visit Radnor Township at: http://www.radnor.com Like us on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/RadnorTownship/ Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/radnortownship Follow us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/radnortownship
For more information, Press Only:
Public Information Officer
610.688.5600 x 197