Grading Permits

A Grading Permit is required for any work that involves adding impervious coverage to a property or changing the foot print of a building. This includes new construction, additions, driveways, decks, walkways, sheds, etc. A grading permit is also required for any grading done to a property. If you are unsure if your project requires a grading permit you can contact the Engineering Department at 610-688-5600.

Application Requirements
Application for a grading permit requires:
  • Completed application form and 5 copies of a site plan. The plan must include the existing and new impervious coverage.
  • Any new or replacement impervious over 500 square feet and under 1,499 square feet requires a groundwater recharge bed to be included on the site plan.
  • Any new or replacement impervious over 1,500 square feet requires an Engineered stormwater management plan to be submitted with the application and plans.
The fees for Grading Permits are usually calculated by staff and are covered in the Consolidated Fee Schedule.  It is recommended to contact the Engineering Department to verify the amount required for submission.